Tuesday, July 21, 2009

15 Book Meme-y Thing-y

NEWS: Coraline is out on DVD. I am sure you already knew this, but if not, please go get it.

And, Have you been to Google Books? I haven't really figured out how to use it yet, but I intend on working on it tonight.

So, Greg tagged me on Facebook yesterday for a 15 books that have "stuck with you" meme. I posted it there, but why not double dip?

After all, I have already been introduced to at least 3 new books just reading Stephanie's list. Which is what I love about this sort of thing. You know, the high school memes and the what you don't know about me memes, they can suck it. The book memes are like little presents of love and happiness. I am not exaggerating either.

You know, since I can't really resist compiling lists of books together, I've been wondering if I don't have a little bit of a sickness when it comes to books. I would love to start some memes with a theme.

I mean I want lists of must read science books from my science-y friends, feminist readings from my feministy friends, critical theory from those people, and so forth. As well as memes for lists of poetica, art, music, fiction, childrens' books, non-fiction, graphic novels, cook books, parenting, and whatever category floats your boat (except religious conversion and auto mechanics--I don't have much of an interest in either of those disciplines).

It's weird, when I go to the library, I don't just check out one or two books, I check out 6 or 10. And, then I make little piles around where I am sitting. I do this with all my reading material. I barricade myself in with literature and magazines. And, that's just me. Whether he was like this before he met me or not, I cannot say, but Super Steve does this too. We are gluttonous checker-outters and our kid is learning our bad habits. Same thing when it comes to buying books-- I have my favorite sites too-- Powell's is brilliant, Amazon makes me giddy, ABE books also makes my heart race, but there is nothing like going to the bookstore and whiling away a couple of hours looking. It's addiction on a big level, but one I don't feel too badly about, unless we are moving. Then, owning so many books becomes a burden and not so much of a joy.

As you might have seen from earlier, similarly themed posts, I feel most at home in the company of other voracious readers and I like to find out what they're reading lists involve. Which is why I also like Good Reads. Lists and lists of books. The Hennepin County Library website is also excellent, but I find you have to absolutely know what you are looking for otherwise you're done for. Well, here are my answers to the meme. I added 7 or 8 more because who can stop at 15?

1. Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh
2. Love Medicine by Louise Erdrich
3. The Greatest of Marlys! by Lynda Barry
4. Homegrown Democrat by Garrison Keillor
5. Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon Books 1-6
6. Ida by Gertrude Stein
7. Kaddish & Other Poems by Allen Ginsberg
8. Gone to Soldiers by Marge Piercy
9. The Dubliners by James Joyce
10. The Vintage Book of Contemporary American Poetry, JD McClatchy, ed.
11: Discipline & Punish: The Birth of the Prison, Michel Foucault
12: Lunch Poems, Frank O'Hara
13. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling books 1-7
14.Directed By Desire: The Collected Poems of June Jordan
15. The Alienist by Caleb Carr
16. Angela's Ashes, Frank McCourt
17. How to Talk Dirty & Influence People, Lenny Bruce
18. Shock Value, John Waters
19. Franny & Zooey, JD Salinger
20. Letters to a Young Poet, Rainer Maria Rilke
21.Waiting for Godot, Samuel Beckett
22. Feminism is for Everybody, bell hooks
23. Gender Trouble, Judith Butler

1 comment: