Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Modern Love



I just read the best article in the New York Times by writer and blogger Laura Munson called "Modern Love Those Aren’t Fighting Words, Dear." I sent it to a bunch of people, posted it on my facebook page. I have probably, officially joined the cult of Laura.

I think it's important to consider being responsible for your own happiness when you're in a long term relationship of any sort. Even if it's just with yourself. Since Super Steve and I will be celebrating 10 years of blissfulness together this August, and since we were just having a repeat of the same go-around that we've had for 10 years just a few days ago I thought a little relationship re-dedication of the modern kind is in order. The details of our little fite as I like to call it are not important, but the work we want to do so we can move on and remain happy in our relationship is.

Being in a long-term relationship is HARD. It's work. It's hard work. It's a delicate eco-system that needs constant attention (or, at least it feels that way). Sometimes things get wilty. And, sometimes when they get wilty it's about the other person figuring their out their balance and their sunshine and their, um, fertilizer. Ah, metaphors. As much as I loooorrrrrvve metaphors and as much as I love Super Steve, and he loves me, sometimes our humaness emerges we don't get each other. AT. ALL. You all know what I am talking about. So, don't go acting like you have the perfect relationship or something. If the article doesn't give you perspective on your LTR, maybe listening to Bowie will help.

No comments:

Post a Comment